Church History
Grace Lutheran Church began in 1915 when a group of German immigrant families joined together with the Rev. E.C. Wenzel and held the first worship services in German in Lewiston. The small congregation continued to meet in various places throughout Lewiston until 1921 when they bought property on Main Street in Lewiston and started construction on their own building. On Dec. 25, 1921 the first services were held in the completed basement. Construction on the stone church was put on hold until 1927 when it was finished and dedicated.

The congregation continued to worship in the original location until 1972 when they voted to relocate to larger quarters. On Sept. 30, 1973 the congregation's current building in Auburn was dedicated.

Original stone church


Pastor Marian chips away at the corner stone to unseal a time capsule.
In 1996 Central Maine Medical Center, the owners of Grace's old stone building, announced plans for the demolition of the building. At that time the church was able to open a time capsule that was sealed in the cornerstone.